Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Vegan Breakfasts at The Buttonwood Inn

Recently, a return guest brought his daughter to stay at The Buttonwood Inn.  He thought he was dropping the bomb on me by stating that she prefers a vegan diet and that she would be satisfied with cereal and fruit for breakfast.  I know that when I go on vacation, I would appreciate being served a special breakfast at a B&B, whether or not I was a vegan. 

Admittedly, I was challenged with the task of creating a vegan breakfast for his daughter.  But the internet always turns out to be my friend and I was able to find recipes with ingredient substitutions.  So I ran off to the supermarket and bought most of what I needed in the health food section.  The more mysterious ingredients were available in The Local Grocer health food store.

Vegans elect to avoid animal protein and dairy products. So I was able to find an egg replacer (soy based) and substituted soy milk for cow's milk.  Vegetable oil can replace butter.  So with a little research and extra effort, I was able to serve our guests the same breakfast items which turned out to be delicious!

Here's a recipe for Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment